“Berlin’s fourth opera house is unique” in the diverse cultural scene of the capital. Who else could look back on a productivity of 170 world premieres and debut performances in all genres in only 40 years?
For the NO, opera is more than the re-staging of a well-known and limited repertoire, to which a few new commissioned works are added every now and then. The NO shows: music theatre can, no, you have to put it on stage yourself to express relevant themes.
WHAT’S BEHIND THE “NEUKÖLLNER OPER”?
– a team of theatre makers connected with the house and continuously working there
– undogmatic musical theatre. As an author- and premiere-oriented venue, it produces musical theatre in all genres and also in between them: with an open, dynamic and creative musical concept, including and combining both educational and entertaining formats
– plays that are thematically and organisationally developped both regionally and internationally
– plays for a broad audience beyond trendy niches
– up to 12 productions per year (mostly world premieres and debut performances) in around 250 performances: commissioned opera compositions, opera adaptations, musical world premieres, new genres, co-productions and/or student productions with universities as well as musical theatre for families and “little ones”.
Neuköllner Oper is a private theatre, supported by the so-called conceptual grant of the Berlin Senate. Individual projects may be supported by GASAG, the Cultural Fund for the Capital (Hauptstadtkulturfonds), the German Federal Cultural Foundation, and other supporters.
iframe width="1100" height="619" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hhfpqxNOQeQ?autoplay=1&rel=0&feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen