The Neuköllner Oper is a place of intensive encounters between different people and generations. Our life in Berlin and beyond, in a city and world that is diverse in many ways, is our material; and many young people are its protagonists. But they want to be found, i.e. discovered, interested, encouraged and enabled to invent and perform music theatre in equally diverse and appropriate formats. And so the Neuköllner Oper is looking back on more than 40 years of expertise in promoting and finding talent. Over the decades, we have developed a broad programme with which we are constantly testing new approaches to address and promote new target groups.
– Basic: annual, continuous scouting => commitment of young singers*/musicians*/composer*/writer* and directing teams for the ongoing performance
– BERLINER OPERNPREIS comPOSITION => to promote young composers* and music theatre teams (international & biennial since 1997)
– KOOPERATION UdK / course of studies MUSICAL / SHOW => since 1997 annual production plus revival of a musical written especially for the students
– Special funding formats such as the NACHT DER REGIETALENTE with the Academy of Music “Hanns Eisler”, the AUTHOR’S ACADEMY ZAIMOGLU and various workshops (for the University of the Arts/Scenic Writing; Weimar Music Academy, August Everding Theatre Academy, University of St. Gallen/Copenhagen Business School etc.)
– JUNGES ENSEMBLE => for the promotion of theatre enthusiasts aged 16 and over
– Neuköllner Oper Kinder Klub (NOKK) => for our youngest talents between 8 and 15 years
– MONDIALE => Theatre experiences for refugees from all generations
With all formats, we activate a cycle that is something like the DNA of our theatre: spectators become makers who bring not only their skills and perspectives but also their friends and families – and Berlin’s most diverse music theatre audience keeps on growing.